The Low Tatras National Park (NAPANT) was established and officially decreed by law by the government of the Slovak Socialist Republic in 1978 (Nariadením vlády SSR č.119/78 Zb).
It is the second most important geographical and relatively highly stabilised ecological area in the whole of Slovakia with an area of 205,085 hectare of which, 72,842 hectare makes up the National Park and 110,162 hectare a protected area.
At the present time there are 10 national nature reservations, 12 nature reservations, 3 protected areas, 2 national nature landmarks and 6 natural landmarks on the territory of NAPANT and its protected region.
The areas of the Low Tatras is one of the most important sources of water in Slovakia with two major water courses, the Hron and the Váh, both rising here, and also a small part of the Hnilec is drained from here. Several of the most well-known mineral waters have their springs here, the best known are e.g. Korytnica, Moštenica, Hiadli, Liptovské Sliače, Liptovská Lúžna, ….
There are several kinds of protected flora here along with nearly all kinds of Western Carpathian mountain and alpine flora, rare kinds of insects and other small animals, as well as large mammals, rare wild beasts and numerous kinds of birds.
Trails suitable for hiking and cycling.
Trails suitable only for hiking.
- Donovaly - Polianka - Kečka - Donovaly. This trail crosses the PR (Nature Reservation) Štrosy.
- Donovaly - Polianka - Kečka - Handliarka - Kozí chrbát - Hiadeľské sedlo (saddle) – Donovaly. This trail crosses the PR (Nature Reservation) Štrosy.
- Donovaly - Polianka - Kečka - Handliarka - Kozí chrbát - Hiadeľské sedlo (saddle) - Sedlo pod Babou - Korytnica kúpele. This trail crosses the PR (Nature Reservation) Štrosy and Kozí chrbát.
- Donovaly - Žarnovka - Donovaly.
- Donovaly - Bully - Kalište - Donovaly.
- Donovaly - Bully - Pri javore - Na kráme - Donovaly.
- Donovaly - Šachtička.
- Donovaly - Šachtička - Hrádok - Bučičie - Sásová.
- Donovaly - Jelenská skala - Staré Hory.
- Donovaly - Jelenská skala - Šachtička.
- The Donovaly - Šachtička - Sásová trail is also a nature educational trail with 18 information boards (wildlife, flora, forest community, technical landmarks).
- Donovaly - sedlo (saddle) Veľký Šturec - Hotel pod Šturcom.
- Donovaly - Zvolen - Donovaly.
- Donovaly - Zvolen - Malý Zvolen - Donovaly.
- Donovaly - Zvolen - Malý Zvolen - Liptovské Revúce.